Last evening we headed over to Mountain Equipment Co-op. to look at some backpacks and pick up some presents for one of Heather’s co-workers who is moving to Prague.
They have a lot of really neat gear in the store. It’s like being a kid in a candy store. There are so many fun things to look at in the store. Some of the things that stood out to me were:
- A holster document pouch that straps to your torso like those police gun holsters.
- Full body sized microfibre towels that roll up to a small pouch
- a wall of probably 1000 nalgine bottles of different colors and varieties.
- some really neat backpacks
- a stainless steel double walled espresso cup
We were looking for backpacks with this criteria:
- Had to be big enough to carry enough supplies for 2 weeks away from home.
- fit in carry on luggage.
- not make me look like I was a backpacking tourist.
- have a design that made it easy to access things at the bottom, and pack effeciently.
What we found to fit our needs was actually a duffle bag. But it has a hide away sling strap that actually turns it into a quite comfortable backpack. The other packs we were looking at stood out as being too touristy. At 35 liters it’s not a huge bag, but it should be able to pack enough to get by on.